Friday, March 23, 2012

Ode to Maps

I have a terrible sense of direction.  Seriously, I can still get lost driving around my hometown or if I hike too far back into the goblins!  It’s super embarrassing and pretty unfortunate, especially considering my favorite activities are hiking around a remote desert, exploring Asian cities where I can’t read the road signs, and busting out on long road trips.

To compensate for my mediocre skillzzz, I’ve developed a fetish for maps.  All kinds – atlases, 7.5s, Trails Illustrated, the flimsy ones in Lonely Planet books, etc.  I can easily dink around all afternoon on Google Earth.  Playing around with these maps has made my sense of direction a little better, but it's still not effortless or intuitive.  Basically, if I’m discombobulated I can usually whip out a map and compass and crunch my way out of a tight spot.  (Of course, it doesn’t hurt that Jordan has a bombproof sense of direction!)

Goblin Valley from Google Earth.  Sweet, eh?

My latest map obsession is National Geographic TOPO -- a computer program Jordan got me for my birthday.  Basically, the software contains 7.5 maps for the entire state of Utah.  You can zoom in and print off maps for the specific area where you’ll be hiking.  I’ve also been messing around with the “route” feature, which lets you draw out your course to see total mileage and an elevation profile.  My favorite is the 3D flyover, which gives you a sneak preview of your hike as it zooms through the mountains and canyons of your route.


Screenshoot of Little Wild Horse / Bell Canyon hike:  3D flyover, topo, and elevation profile.



A feature I haven’t used yet is synching the route with a GPS.  You can map a route on the software, then load it to your handheld GPS.  It also works in reverse – you can take waypoints during your hike, then upload it into the software.  (“Oh!  That’s where I was!”)  So that brings me to my GPS dilemma.  I’ve been holding off on buying a handheld GPS forever, partly because I was worried it would become a crutch and an excuse not to build up solid map skills.   That was probably true a few years ago, but now I think I’m decent at reading maps.  A GPS could also come in handy in an emergency.  And -- let's not lie -- I want to play around with this software!

So now I’m scoping out GPSs and reading lots of reviews.  Do any of you own a GPS that you really like?  Any good/bad/ugly reviews?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us