Saturday, March 31, 2012

Peregrine attack

I had a crazy wildlife sighting on the way to work today.  I was driving to the Visitor Center, when I saw a duck in the middle of the road.  Duck?  This guy was waaaaay off course -- there's no standing water for miles around Goblin Valley.  He started to fly down the road, when I saw a pair of peregrine falcons zooming towards him.  Right in front of me, one of the peregrines folded up his wings, turned downward, and DIVEBOMBED the duck.  Peregrines can stoop up to 180 mph, making them one of the fastest animals in the world. The force of the impact knocked the duck to the ground, but didn't kill it.  The duck flew away, and the peregrines stayed in hot pursuit.  Awesome.


Peregrine stoop (Photo credit: http://gerryco23.wordpress.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us